Call for Entries: 2022 AMDF Journalist of the Year Award
Africa Media Development Foundation (AMDF) invites applications from interested professional, or freelance journalists in Africa for its Journalist of the Year Award.
• Each piece of work submitted must be an untold story from Africa and focused on Africans
• The piece must reflect high quality journalism work, highlighting major issues in the story, as well as skills of the entrant in terms of quality of writing and logical presentation.
• The piece should have been first published or broadcast in an African medium, or Africa focused medium, between 1st October, 2021 and 30th September 2022.
Development focused stories
METHOD OF SUBMISSION
• Send a URL (web link) of the published work, alongside other required documents – hard copies are not acceptable.
• Entry should be sent through emails to email@example.com
The Award is open to professional journalists from Africa, who have published stories on either radio, tv, online, or print media targeting African audience.
• All submitted works must be in English Language.
• A maximum of one entry will be allowed per entrant.
• Past awardees are not eligible to submit entries.
• AMDF Employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate in this competition.
• The journalist with the most outstanding work amongst the finalists will be selected as the 2022 AMDF Journalist of the Year.
• By sending an entry to this competition, you agree to grant AMDF a royalty-free licence to use your submitted works for any purpose deemed appropriate for the development of the Award concept, the AMDF and the media in general.
The submitted package should include:
• Current CV of the journalist who bears by-line of the story
• A high-resolution passport photograph
• A cover statement of not more than 400 words on the story;
• Explaining background of the work: identify the issues, what led to the topic, any unusual experience encountered in the cause of the work.
• Describing challenges to the content of the story that were not reported in the original work.
• A panel of judges, comprising of respected persons with suitable competencies in journalism, shall preside the competition.
• The judges reserve the right to disqualify any piece of work or finalist if, in their opinion, there exists any reasonable doubt about the authenticity, or accuracy of submitted work, or the integrity of the finalists.
• AMDF award recipients and runners-up are expected to be persons of high ethical and professional standards. The organisation reserves the right to withdraw awards at any point in time based on the misconduct of the recipient.
THE AWARD CEREMONY
Finalist and runner-up will be announced during the 7th Africa Conference on Development Journalism which holds Online on 7th December, 2022.
Deadline for Submission of Entries: 4PM Monday, 31st October, 2022. Only entries received by the deadline will be treated.
Kindly send all entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
AMDF is an organisation that provides professional support to media and sustainable development initiatives.
For more on the organisation, please visit www.amdf-centre.org
Deputy Executive Director